Niche Installation instructions for Redblock bath and shower niche N1014.
IMPORTANT NOTES FOR NICHE INSTALLATION:
– The depth of the tiling flange will accommodate a tile thickness of up to 3/8” or 10mm.
– The niche is covered by a protective sheet of blue plastic. Please leave this plastic sheet in place until after grouting. The sheet may need to be trimmed to the perimeter of the tiling flange. If the blue plastic sheet gets damaged, simply remove it and cover the tiling flange with masking tape. For more niche installation information see our installation video.
Install support Framing
1. Before tile backer board and niche installation, you must prepare the framing in the area surrounding your bath or shower to support the Redblock niche. The Redblock niche should be fastened to framing on 3 sides (eg: bottom, top and one side). Measure the correct distance from the shower base or tub deck, where you would like the base of the niche to be positioned. Fasten the first framing piece in this position, horizontally between the wall studs. Place the second piece 14 ¼ inches above, to accommodator the niche height (create a 14 ¼ inch (36 cm) space between them). Ensure that these two framing members are level.
Install Tile Backer Board
2. Install your tile backer board. Cut a hole in the tile backer board in the location you determined in step 1. The hole size for the niche should be 14 1/4 inches high (36 cm) x 10 1/8 inches wide (25.7 cm). The niche is meant to be secured using a low-profile coated wafer-head screw through the backer board into the surrounding framing. Use the screw holes on the perimeter of the niche (located on the mounting flange). Do not over-tighten the screws.
Mount the niche
3. Before fastening the niche permanently in place onto the backer board, we suggest applying a thin bead of polyurethane adhesive (uninterrupted bead) around the inside edge of the mounting flange. The mounting screw holes are biased slightly to the outside to accommodate this bead.
Apply waterproofing membrane
4. During this stage, be sure that your membrane (waterproofing material) fully covers the mounting flange. When using a sheet-style membrane, cut the membrane so it covers the mounting flange completely. Run another small (uninterrupted) bead of polyurethane adhesive around the centre of the mounting flange. Do NOT use silicone or other caulking material. The mounting screw holes are biased slightly to the outside to accommodate this bead. Then gently press the membrane in place on the mounting flange, using a large putty knife (or equivalent), ensuring it is flush against the screw heads and the adhesive is smooth.
Niche installation is complete!
You should now be ready for tiling. Please leave the blue plastic covering the niche until after you are finished grouting. If the blue plastic sheet gets damaged, simply cover the tiling flange with masking tape.
For more niche installation help see our installation video or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
See more related articles under these topics:
SHARE THIS ARTICLE:
© 2017 Redblock Industries LLP - All Rights Reserved.